Tuesday 14 July 2015

Looking out for you - being happy

Lately, I have been doing a lot of thinking about how I should look after myself more. And by that, I mean I should be more selfish and look out for me and my interests. This may sound a little strange, or even mean to some extent, but I think I have come to the point in my life where I am just so tired of being second best. I think it is at this point where you finally grow up and you learn that you're going to have to look out for yourself rather than others more often.

Only by getting older do you learn that some relationships are more toxic than others, and it is perfectly okay to cut off ties at any point. It is one of those things that you only learn over time and through certain situations. But, I just wanted to write this post (mostly to convince myself) so that I will feel fine after cutting myself off from others. A recent conversation with a friend really opened my eyes, because we both agreed that there's no point connecting with someone if they don't have a positive influence on your life. It is right though, we need to surround ourselves with the people that influence us to do great things and want us to succeed.

Personally, I feel like I have gotten closer and closer to only communicating with those who have a positive affect on my life. I mean, I like to think I am a nice person and I always try my best to be polite and get on with everyone, but life really is too damn short to become involved in petty dramas or negative vibes in general. In situations like this I always think of a quote from Roald Dahl's The Twits...
“If a person has ugly thoughts, it begins to show on the face. And when that person has ugly thoughts every day, every week, every year, the face gets uglier and uglier until you can hardly bear to look at it.

A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts it will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.”
Honestly, I don't think this quote could be anymore true because having a positive outlook on life and always being happy really does work. Along with taking more time for myself, I feel so much happier and less bogged down. Another thing I have come to do is not care what others think, and once you truly have this, I believe the power is yours. My life experiences have made me more confident in my self and not caring (well maybe a little) has helped me find my happy place. I believe we all make this journey in life, some realise it quicker than others, but you have to go through it to truly appreciate it. But, I just want to say that it is completely okay to be selfish once in a while, and do whatever makes you happy. Don't let anyone hold you back from being the wonderful person you are!

Have you experienced any thoughts like this or do you have any advice on finding your happiness?
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Leonni's Little Blog. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig